Sunday, July 9

Wanderlust 2017 - Fossil Collection


Headed to my Wanderlust 2017 art journal today to work on the prompt "I collect..." Since I do collect too many things like books and craft supplies, I wanted to head off in another direction - collecting rocks and fossils. (I think it has to do with many years of teaching Earth Science, but I am still fascinated by these natural objects.)

Specimen 2675

A few weeks ago, I spent some time out on my deck playing with my gelli plate and DecoArt's new Premium acrylic line along with some of their Neons.  You can check that out HERE. I made up a batch of papers to have on hand, and I pulled some out to use on my page today. 


I am using a sheet of watercolor paper as the base, and tore strips of my gelli prints and glued them down with DecouPage. I brushed it on the back, then swiped the card over it to make sure it adhered, then I added it also as a topcoat. 


Once that dried, I added in some fluid acrylics in Green Gold, Quinacridone Gold, and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide. I chose all transparent colors because I wanted my papers to also show through. 


Next, I painted over the entire page with the Carbon Black Premium Americans acrylic. laid the stencil on top and using a baby wipe, I removed the black from the stenciled area. I really like how it created this somewhat stained glass look. 


Looking closer...




I love how the color shines through, but also has that smudge of black on top. A bonus, I think, is when I lifted the stencil, it also lifted some of the black paint to get these random spots. 

I stamped the specimen piece on a gelli print, using Andy Skinner's Skuldoggery set, and adhered with more DecouPage, and finished the page off with a bit of lettering. 


I can see this is a technique I am going to want to play with again! I hope you've enjoyed it, and thanks for stopping by! 





2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest