Monday, August 22

Prehistoric Dream Time




Hello Monday, my friends! Our challenge this week is "Go Fish." I can see many ways to interpret this challenge, but I took a trip back in history, well actually, prehistory with this one. I think my idea evolved out of my many years of teaching Earth Science, but my mind went to sharks and trilobites when I saw the theme for this week.

Just a reminder about our kid's challenge - if you have creative kids, grands, nieces/nephews be sure to let them know about this!

Ok, time to pull out one of my art journals and get to work! I started with gessoed pages and then worked in a couple of layers of paint and some texture.




Next, I used my trilobite stencil and Dylusions paint and a mini round blender and placed my trilobites into my ocean.


I die cut a number of pieces to work with in my layout, and used sprays on them.


I used both the die cut and then cut out what was left from my Seth Apter Drip Drop die to create some ocean plants.


I was thinking of the prehistoric ocean where trilobites and sharks might have lived side by side (that's my 'go fish' part of this), and tried to imagine what the ocean might have looked like. I am also fascinated with the idea of dream time and the style of Indigenous Australian art and the wonderful texture of dots, so I worked this in using Ranger's Enamel Accents. This was my first time trying out the enamel accents, and I love how precise I can be with the tiny tip. 


A bit of detail...


I added a sandy ocean bottom by using Tim Holtz's Grit Paste and Distress Crayons.



I hope you have enjoyed my little journey into prehistory, and please do join us this week and show us your interpretation of our theme "go fish!" I am looking forward to your creation. 

Simon Says Stamp generously gives a $50 voucher each week!


SUPPLIES:

                                       
                                       

A great place to shop!!


Simon is on Instagram!


Be sure to head on over to the challenge blog to see the creative interpretations of our theme by the DT!


13 comments:

  1. Fabulous journal page Maura, the whole tribal art/prehistoric theme is very clever! I love the colours and whole design of this :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! An amazing page - I love the layers and the fabulous colours! Such a great idea too! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful spread Maura! It makes me want to jump right into these pages and swim! hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your beautiful journal pages, Maura. The colors and embellishments on the background are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet pages, Maura! Love the dotted outlines! :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful spread, Maura! Love the texture and the dotted outlines around the fish are so fun. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful journal page, Maura! Creating texture with the paint and rubber brush is awesome and I really love your prehistoric theme.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pages. I love the colors of the background and the structure you gave it! The stencil is so original! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous pages Maura...love the prehistoric theme...so much texture and detail...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful pages, Maura and I adore the tribal feel of the artwork ~ it's so different and so unique! A really cool piece of work and I love it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This page is wonderful Maura!! Anton would love it, he is very interested in prehistoric sharks. Very clever use of the Mixed Media die, and the background is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic pages Maura! love the colors and the use of Seth's die! BArbara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest